Broken bottom board on Upright

Chris Olson dreemer@crl.com
Wed, 22 May 1996 06:35:06 -0700

Hi,

I haven't had experience with this before so I thought I'd ask the list.  A
client has an old upright (in pretty good condition) that was just moved
into their new house.  The bottom board has a major crack along the whole
length of it in the middle where the pedal screws go into it.  I was
thinking it is probably too cracked to reglue, plus I would have to
relocate the pedals slightly so the screws didn't go back into the cracked
part.  So, I'm thinking - replace the bottom board.  Now, since I haven't
done this before, this is where I have the questions -

What kind of wood should I use?

About how much time should I estimate for the job (including removal &
replacement)?

Any ideas on the best way to make a template for pedal placement?

thanks for your help,

Chris Olson
Complete Piano Services
Sebastopol, California