Restringing Question

Paul Stephens pauls@ieighty.net
Thu, 23 May 1996 19:50:01 -0700

Thomas D. Seay, III wrote:

> Dear Pianotech list,
>
> I am preparing to restring a Steinway L for our School of Music over the
> summer. I am wondering what procedures you might recommend for reaming
> holes prior to installing new pins (or if you recommend reaming at all,
> come to think of it). I will be replacing 2-0's with 4-0's.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Tom Seay
>
> Tom Seay
> t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
> The University of Texas at Austin

I have restrung both with and without reaming.  Reaming helps if
original pins vary widely in torque.  I like to use a pin driving fluid.
 The pins go in very smoothly and have good feel when the job is
finished.  For pin driving fluid I use a good grade of gloss (there may
not be any other kind) spar varnish. I believe that is what the
Man-O-War varnish mentioned earlier is.  (Boy, the syntax of that last
sentence is really somenting!)  Good luck on the summer project.

Paul Stephens, RPT