Restringing Question

Wippen@aol.com Wippen@aol.com
Thu, 23 May 1996 22:30:47 -0400

Tom Seay writes:

>I am preparing to restring a Steinway L for our School of >Music over the
summer. I am wondering what procedures you >might recommend for reaming holes
prior to installing new >pins (or if you recommend reaming at all, come to
think of it). >I will be replacing 2-0's with 4-0's.

Tom,
Is there some reason you have elected not to replace the pin block in this
"L"?.
Replacing the block is not all that difficult or costly and it seems to me
that, since you need to make the jump from #2's to #4 pins, that replacing
the block now will make for a nicer job in the long run.

Also, when I find loose tuning pins I always am suspect that the bridge pins
are equally loose, requiring repinning the bridge or recapping. Since you
need to pull the plate for this job it makes sense to me to do the block as
well.

Paul Dempsey
Marshall University
wippen@aol.com