Rhodes Piano Tuning

David Ilvedson PNOTUNER@gnn.com
Sat, 25 May 1996 00:22:37 +0000

Usually the tuning is relatively in the ballpark for a Rhodes.  I use a small screwdriver and
scratch at the
weight one way or the other to change pitch.  To make major changes remove the end screws on
the harp and tip
it up on end.  With your fingers you can twist the weight to get it in the ballpark check by
plucking.  The
tine with the weight nearly off needs a longer tine or a bigger weight.  Somewhere in my shop
I've got a few
extra weights and tines but I haven't worked on a Rhodes in years.  Voicing can be changed by
moving the tine
up or down in relation to the pickup by adjusting the phillips screws on the tine assembly.
This will also
change volume as will moving the pickup in and out.  The little clip weight usually found in
the treble are a
big help in small adjustments.

Have fun...