The river under the Kawai Bridge

Larry Fisher larryf@pacifier.com
Sun, 26 May 1996 11:08:38 -0800

>Dear Larry,
>       I wish that you would send some of that rain to Arizona.  We
>haven't had a half inch in the last year.

Go figger, last year your lettuce crop was flooded out eh??

RE: Key bbbbbobbble on release    Kawai grand

>     Could you add moisture to the flange by using a syringe of water
>or a finger of spit or holding it under a faucet to get it to absorb
>moisture and stiffen up?  After it's dry, then check it and add heat
>accordingly until getting the amount of swings that you want?   This
>method is superior to repinning since it preserves the integrity of the
>birdseye.

This would be a spinoff from the alcohol and water proceedure used on
rattlely wobbly old dried out actions.  I've never used it, and am hesitant
since it's a fourty minute drive from here to there.  I would be concerned
about uneveness, stickyness, call backs as a result of, etc.  I did breathe
on one and then check the swings and it went from a liberal better than 10
to a 7.  I don't know if it stayed that way.

>There are a couple of other things that I question.
>
>     You mention that "she dislikes the way the keys bounce on a fast
>return, affecting repetition.  Are the backchecks functioning correctly?
> Also, what about the repetition spring tension?  Is it  too high or is
>the repetition lever height too high?  How about Jacks position?  Does
>the knuckle bounce on Jacks head?
>
>I don't know if I've been able to help.  If indeed it is a flange
>problem, then so be it,  but I question whether or not we might be
>addressing the symptoms and not the problem.

I've often wondered the same.   That's why I post this to the largest (and
classiest) think tank in the business.

RE: backchecks............  they catch the hammers, and they are set for
about 1/2" to 3/4" or so.  The hammer bouce is occuring on release, however.
and not during keydown.  Catching the hammers at a lower level would
decrease the amount of hammer bounce, but would also affect response in a
negative way for this customer.

RE: repetition spring tension ..............  I've got a good lift on each
one but not so much to cause the hammer to hit the string on release.  You
can just barely feel the hammer snap back up (in the key) from a checked
position.

RE:rep lever height ............... I regulated the action a few years ago.
The rep levers were in the proper position at that time.  I didn't check any
of that this trip.  The hammer line was still pretty straight.  I would
think that if the rep levers had changed, the hammer line would be affected.

RE:Jacks position................. He can be quite hard headed at times and
sometimes I feel like burnishing my knuckles into his skull, but in this
case the knuckles are not even an issue here since we're talking about
bounce ........ key bounce on release ........ hammers bouncing off the
hammer rest cushion ....... on release .........  Jack is sitting around,
aimlessly at this point, waiting to be goosed, yet again.

>Ron Shiflet, RPT
>Phoenix Chapter
>Ron_and_Lorene@Juno.com
>
>P.S.  Keep us posted.  I'm curious to see what happens.  Good Luck

Thanks Ron.

Lar

                           Larry Fisher RPT, Metro Portland, Oregon's
                  Factory Preferred Installer for MSR/PianoDisc Products
                       phone 360-256-2999 or email larryf@pacifier.com
                            http://pacifier.com/~larryf/homepage.html
                         Beau Dahnker pianos work best under water