Unhappy Steinway...(cracked plate)

Kwkeys@aol.com Kwkeys@aol.com
Mon, 27 May 1996 00:40:36 -0400

Jeff,

Since plate failure seems eminent, I would suggest that you take steps very
soon to minimize the problem and its subsequent effects. As you suggest, it
may be a good idea to immediately let the tension down while there is some
plate integrity remaining.  I would call O.S. Kelly Plate Mfg in Springfied,
Oh. 513/322-4921 and get their opinion on the feasibility of rewelding the
plate. You may be able to ship it to them and contract repairs through their
facility. Certainly, the cost of a Steinway D would justify the expenditure.
They are the plate experts - manufacturing plates for Baldwin, Steinway, and
many other companies. Plates have been successfully welded before but it
requires special skills and equipmemt such as those at Kelly.

Hope this helps.

Kent Webb