Cracked Plate- Steinway

TunerJeff@aol.com TunerJeff@aol.com
Sun, 26 May 1996 23:52:30 -0400

To ;pianotech@byu.edu
Re; Upper Plate/Strut Cracks Steinway Grand

Dear Folks,
     Have been getting many private and public posts to help with the
problem. Many have suggested re-working the plate repair...but is this really
feasible? Wouldn't the high heat already put to this area make a further
repair impossible or problematical at best?
    Many posts have shown a danger of *chrystalizing* the metal with
inadequate procedures in heating and cooling. The *gobs* I mentioned in the
original post have me concerned that the metal was not properly treated at
first crack (...ha ha) and won't accept the additional stresses of rewelding
the area.

     I don't believe that the church can possibly afford the costs of
shipping and repair at Steinway's shop...but I will prepare an estimate for
them after I get a response from Mike Mohr. I now have a phone number for
him...and will add a message on his phone machine to the E-Mail message
waiting in his computer. (...hey, it's Memorial Day weekend!).

   Will somebody please put their foot in it and suggest a range (in dollars,
pfennings, rubles, or kopecs) that plate replacement and complete re-building
might/will run to???

Thanks for all the help!

Jeffrey T. Hickey  RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff@aol.com
(541)756-7701

ps- Really don't think that the church will bite at a re-building fee. Any
firm offers on purchase among the Techlist? Possible trade? Hey, I've got a
9-foot piano with just this little tiny problem... got a 6-foot in reasonable
condition? Swap shipping fees?
The Steinway comes with adjustable bench, cover, and piano truck...what
(what?) a deal!