HAMMERS WON'T CHECK ON A

scott.e.johnson@24stex.com scott.e.johnson@24stex.com
Mon, 27 May 1996 10:25:54 -0800

 Jr> I am having trouble getting proper hammer checking on a Steinway D. On
 Jr> a light to medium blow, some of the hammers bounce and double strike. I
 Jr> have good key dip, aftertouch and 1/16 let-off. I tried adjusting the
 Jr> strength of the rep lever spring but saw no improvement. The hammer
 Jr> tails are roughed up sufficiently. Any ideas?

 Jr> Joe Ross, RPT
 Jr> Rochester, NY

 Joe,
 You might try changing the angle of the backchecks,(the bend in the back
 check wire made right below the backcheck itself.) To check for proper angle
 first put the hammer in check then tap down on the top of the hammer. If the
 hammer slips down the angle is to steep. Then let the hammer rest and apply
 pressure to the top of the hammer as you depress the key, kind of rocking the
 hammer and key with both hands. If the angle is not steep enough you will
 feel the tail rub on the back check as it rises. The springs should cause the
 hammer to rise slowly out of check without feeling a bump in the key. Let off
 should be close enough for the key to sound when brought slowly to the point
 of let off and then pushed through.
 How rough are the tails? 20 grit?
 Best of luck.

Scott Johnson