Supporting a grand in the shop: legs vs truck

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Mon, 27 May 1996 21:27:43 -0400

Clark;
 I have done it both ways with no noticeable difference, this is probably due
to the rigidity of the inner and outer rim assembly, providing there is no
seperation there.
  I have made several sets of (reinforced) legs to use in place of an
instruments own legs. I now use these legs when the piano is in the shop for
all operations.  Each set has oversized hard rubber casters w/locks and this
puts most instruments at a comfortable height for all work,i.e. sounboard
refinishing, bridge work, shimming, refinishing the case. In addition the
case is properly supported so I can do regulation work that will stay the
same when the original legs are installed. You can't do this with most shop
dollies I have seen. (plus three sets of legs take up less space than one
shop dolly)
Hope this helps.
Jim Bryant (FL)