felt separating from hammer core

Gilreath@aol.com Gilreath@aol.com
Mon, 27 May 1996 21:41:53 -0400

>Ted:
>
>Before giving up on CA glue, you might try a thicker viscosity plus an
>accelerator. Should work fine.
>
>Jim DeRocher

Please let me add my 2 cents to Jim's post.  I have found that if I apply the
thick super glue, clamp w/ locking pliers (such as vice-grips), apply
accelerator and let it dry while I tune, the job seems to hold perfectly and
permanently.  Give this a try and see what happens.  Of course, I would also
keep in mind Jim Harvey's rule of thumb that he will fix up to six of the
same problem.  More than six indicates a chronic problem that will keep
recurring and will be much less expensive in the long run to repair or
replace the entire set.  BTW, I know it's probably obvious but it might help
a novice lurking, if the hammer has two layers of felt, usually referred to
in my experience as over-felt and under-felt, the felt glues only to the wood
and not felt to felt.  Just a reminder.

Food for thought,

Allan Gilreath
Gilreath Piano & Organ Co.