Fern, Bill and a few troublemakes in the PTG

Ronald R Shiflet ron_and_lorene@juno.com
Wed, 29 May 1996 13:19:00 -0800 (PST)

	In light of the recent resignation of Fern Henry, I see a lot of
needless problems uprising.  In the several years since I have been
around the PTG, there has been a huge improvement in the quality of the
service that the PTG provides.  I watch with amazement as these leaders
take the PTG to greater heights.  Fern and Bill have done more for the
PTG since I have been involved  than probably anyone else.  Bills
technical abilities and being able to publish them in easy to understand
way are unmatched.  I personally feel, that one could learn more by
joining the PTG and going through the PACE lessons than by purchasing
any correspondence course on the market today.

	Unfortunately, one of the sad parts of life and especially
leadership is the subject of criticism.  Having a 'strong back' is
necessary.   Whether you are a the President of the United States, your
city's mayor, a pastor at the local church, a den mother for a cub scout
group or just a quiet citizen on your street  you will eventually be
subjected to criticism.  Criticism is ugly and destroys the fruits that
others have worked for so long to achieve.  There is never a time when
somebody else wouldn't do the same job differently and there is always a
small group who won't help but will be the first to stand up and point
out faults.

	When criticizing Bill Spurlock about his piano supply business,
how many of his products are available elsewhere?  How often has he
mentioned where to get otherwise unavailable products?  How often has he
told people how to make these things themselves? How often has he saved
you money by teaching you an easier way to do a job that you've always
hated?   If the piano supply houses hadn't left the door wide open for
competition and if these things were readily available, Bill would have
had no reason to start his own business.  Bill ( and anyone else) is
plenty justified in opening a door of opportunity because others won't.

	Ferns leadership with the PACE program has made the PTG what will
set this organization apart from the others and that is training.  Try
going into organ repair or band instrument repair.  You can't even join
their respective organizations unless you're already trained or working
in that field.  How can you get into the field without being trained?  A
vicious cycle to be caught up in. There are those in the PTG who would do
the same if given the chance.  How often do they keep trying to change
the membership categories?  In the end,  it's a competitive edge to ward
off potential competitors by not allowing them the training that we
currently enjoy.  How selfish !!!  The first person that I met in the
PTG wouldn't let me look at a Journal or even tell me where home office
was because he feared me as a competitor.  Fortunately, he failed and
left.

	Recently, Hollywood sent their message with "Mr. Hollands Opus",
about the realities school music.  Furthermore, every year acoustic piano
sales decline, schools trim music budgets and the subject of the future
of the PTG and the music industry seems to be an ever increasing topic
of concern.  If the music industry continues in this trend, there may
very well be the day that  we all have to change professions.

	Aren't there enough outside forces working against us already?
Do we need to escalate petty disagreements, create hard feelings and
destroy ourselves?  Is it really worth it?  If you're one of these,
perhaps it's time to move on to something else...the legal profession
still has a few openings.

Bill and Fern,

	My hat goes off to you both for a job well done.  If you can
overlook the weaknesses of a few troublemakers, we would sure appreciate
you back.

Ron Shiflet, RPT
Phoenix Chapter
Ron_and_Lorene@Juno.com