C.Y.A.

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Thu, 30 May 1996 08:33:54 -0400

Dear List,

This morning, May 24, 1996, I had a meeting with the chairman and the manager
of the department concerning the issues of my performance evaluation.

The matters discussed were;
 - reducing the number of pianos in use
 - having a published schedule of tunings
 - bringing in outside help for tunings
 - my inclusion at all piano faculty meetings
 - my time to be concentrated on teaching studios and performance pianos
 - better faculty communication with me to solve problems, one on one.
 - my re-establishing faculty confidence in my abilities.

The discussed issues make it obvious that there are communication problems
between myself and the faculty and students.  I have my own agenda and
schedule of events and work in progress that they are unaware of, so somehow I
have lost touch with my constituents.

The chairman is not really willing to rewrite his evaluation summery despite
my insistence that any problems not discussed with me cannot be resolved and,
therefore, cannot be seen as a fault of mine.  Since this summary goes no
further than my in department file I will ignore it and move on.

The moral lesson is to maintain open lines of communication with all concerned
parties and make sure those lines are there and wide open.  Those of us who
work by ourselves need to be continuously aware and not get lost into our own
private work habits.

For those who have written, some thirty-one of you, I wish to express my heart
felt appreciation of you support and contributions to today's discussions.

Thank you,
Thank you,
Thank you,
etc. etc.