Historical temperaments

Charles K. Ball ckball@mail.utexas.edu
Thu, 30 May 1996 08:35:01 -0500

>-- [ From: ALLAN DAY * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --
>
>To all;
>
>        I am interested in getting e-mail from tuners who are using historical
>temperaments. I have been using  the Thomas Young and the Kirnburger
>III temperaments only recently.
>        One of my customers will be recording the Bethoven Diabelli Variations
>using the Kirnburger III. The CD is scheduled for release this summer.
>              We are planning a series of concerts to promote the CD
>and I am being included in the programs to explain the indiginous
>tunings and their relavance to the music particularly the Beethoven.
>         Owen Jorgensen is aware of what we're doing but has no way of knowing
>how many tuners are currently utilizing historical temperaments. I
>would appreciate getting as many responses and opinions of the H.T.'s
>so I can include this data in our programs.
>Thanks in advance, Allan

Dear Allen,

We use historical temperaments extensively here at the School of Music for
the tuning of our fortepiano and harpsichord.  I do demonstrations of these
temperaments for some classes as well.  Most of the temperaments I use come
from Owen Jorgensen.

Of course, I promote the impression that I am doing something really
esoteric and clever; but the truth is that they are easier to set than
equal temperament.

I shall look forward to finding your CD this summer.

Regards,

Charles

Charles Ball
School of Music