Wild Strings

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Fri, 31 May 1996 15:12:45 -0400

    I tuned a 1990 GS-70 on a concert stage last night.  I initially thought
    it would be a pleasant experience - it wasn't.  The pinblock was as
    mushy as a bowl of overcooked canned peas, and several treble strings in
    the capo section beat (on their very own, individually) like a wild
    banshee.

    I spent much more time than I had planned struggling to obtain clean
    unisons.  I didn't have much luck in the treble.

    Are these typical characteristics of this new 7'5" $30K piano model?
    What, if anything, could be done to improve the situation?  I guess my
    real question is:  Is there a method or trick to tuning clean unisons
    among wild strings?  Is it even possible?

    Thanks for the inputs!!

    John Piesik
    San Diego Chapter PTG
    JPIESIK@ARINC.COM