violin thread

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Tue, 14 May 1996 10:39:33 -0500

----------
> From: Susan Kline <skline@proaxis.com>
> To: pianotech@byu.edu
> Subject: Re: violin thread
> Date: Tuesday, May 13, 1997 11:55 PM
>
> Allan --
>
> >Sorry if this seems to ramble, but the subject is fascinating and
there are
> >probably more people involved in it than we would ever imagine.
>
> For me at least, you can ramble like this as much as you please!
And I'm
> glad you stayed up this evening! (It's only 9:40 p.m. out here.)
>
> I've always wondered how wind players viewed these matters! Theirs
is a
> unique set of problems, since in orchestra they have to blend with
each
> other while all their instruments are pulling them in different
directions.
> I've watched the woodwinds huddled together during breaks,
straightening it
> all out. If you think of more to tell us ("at great length") from
the brass
> perspective, tell on!
>	Susan

	I for one would like to hear more about the above and esp. how the
string players do it.  There are no fretts of the neck, the tuning
pegs are held in by friction, and it would seem the pressure of the
bow on the string would also affect pitch.  Also the question of how
do they play with a keyboard, as opposed to just themselves.
Richard Moody