Silicone spray dilemma

PIANOBIZ@aol.com PIANOBIZ@aol.com
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:19:16 -0500

Hi Clark,
I'll bet he didn't do it that way again though.  The addition of silicone to
the wood, especially prior to the finishing, could still have some negative
consequences over time.
I think using the fish-eye remover at all, even adding it to your spraying
lacquer, changes the composition of the lacquer and has a negative effect on
the adhesion of the final product.  I discovered another method of sealing
off those pesky fish eyes.  If they appear, stop the build up right away,
sand the finish back down flat and then spray a few mist coats of lacquer
over the piece.  By mist spraying, i.e., holding the gun far enough away so
the lacquer dries immediately upon contact, the new dry lacquer layer forms a
barrier, sealing off the gushing silicone "fish eyes"...a neat trick for any
of you who refinish.  After several mist coats you can proceed with the
finish build-up, with no further worry about fish-eyes. This works so well
that we don't even have fish eye remover in our refinishing shop...haven't
used it for eight years now.
A little side story there I guess.  I don't think there's any practical
application to Keith's problem.....?  Several mist coats of lacquer on all
the action parts Keith?  Oh... be sure to tape off all the felt, cloth and
leather.  :)

David Sanderson
Littleton, MA
Pianobiz@aol.com