accent ' e '

Ron Berry ronberry@iquest.net
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:39:02 -0500

> Date:          Sat, 16 Nov 1996 20:48:04 -0600
> From:          "j. kehe" <fortep@mcs.com>
> Subject:       Re: accent   ' e '
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu, ATodd@UH.EDU
> Cc:            pianotech@byu.edu

> There is an easier way using your numeric keypad (make sure number lock is
> on). Hold down the <Alt> key, type the number 130, then release Alt key.
> Voile!....oops, Voila!
> This only works in ASCII format.

If you want to always have access to accented characters, you can
set up the keyboard configuration.  In Windows 3.x (I'm sure there
is an equivalent to this in Win95) you go to control panels and
Double click on International.  Change the Language to English
(International) and the Keyboard layout to US-International.  You may
have to get out your windows installation disks for it to find the
right driver.

Once you have done this you can type the accent first then the vowel
and it will put them together.  That is, type ' then e  and get e.
type ` then e and get e.  Type " then o and get oe.  Type
 Control-Alt-S and get ss.  The only problem with this is that if you
want an apostrophe or quotes before a vowel you need to type the
apostrophe and then space, then the vowel.

My wife is a french teach and we type sometimes in French and this
seems to be the best solution.  If you set the languge to French the
keyboard is laid out in a different order and the letters on the keys
don't match what they type.

Have fuen with accents,

Ron

Ron Berry, RPT, Indianapolis, IN