Dampp-Chaser Humidistat Placement

Don Rose drose@dlcwest.com
Mon, 07 Oct 1996 17:52:49 -0500

Hi All,

At 03:24 PM 10/7/96 -0400, you wrote:
>     I've installed about a dozen D-C systems (full systems) mainly in
>     grands.

>     For grands I typically use at least 2 25W rods under the soundboard, 1
>     50W rod where the keybed meets the open soundboard space, and 1 35W
>     rod under the keybed.

Unless you live in an exceptionally high humidity area I don't believe the
rod under the keybed is particularly useful.

I would prefer to use a 50 "belly bar" (as above) and then a 35 watt under
the "long beam" and a 25 watt rod under the "short beam"

>I place the humidifier tank as close to the
>     centroid of the soundboard as I can approximate it. Mostly I hang it
>     under the beams, unless the client objects, then between the beams.

I always hang under the beams (mostly until I choke)

> So far so good . . . now the humidistat placement.

I try to find a location that will be equidistant from the humdifier and the
nearest rod.

I don't know if I qualify as an expert but I can tell you that since I
started placing rods under beams instead of "under the sound board" the
stability of the tuning has improved--especially in the tenor which tended
to get out of hand. My climate variation here is 4% to 84%.

Regards,
"Tuner for the Centre of the Arts"
drose@dlcwest.com
3004 Grant Rd.