Cleaning Soot from pianos

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Sun, 13 Oct 1996 21:15:21 +0100

The problem with modern day fires is they tend to be plastic orientated
and the smoke damage from these fires can be a devil to shift.  I use
sugar soap for cleaning frames and  soundboards as for the action I use
150 pounds per square inch compresser sending it through a needle hole
which if you hold the hammers and pass the compressed air across it
blows out any muck.  Care must be taken when blasting dampers you must
pinch the treble dampers so that the compressed air does not blast the
felt away.

Health and safety.

You must wear ear and eye protection when performing this action, also a
resperater and some form of rubbver gloves as when you are blasting
small particles at a hundered fifty pounds pressure bvehind them they
would quite easily pass throgh your skin and contaminate your blood.

Sand blasting.

Not reccommended.

The reasons:

The sand tends to get between the flanges and seizes up everything also,
sand blasting tends to be a bit vicious and uncontrolable of course if
you are completely re-felting and re-pinning then it is a quick
altervative.

Woodwork.

Can be bleached with oxalic acid as hot as you can stand it.

Health and safety.

As above with a warning the acid although cxan be touched with bare skin
is extremely poisonous.  Same symptoms as gastoric enteritis.

Hope this is of some help.

Kind regards,
Barrie.

In article <2700931038.6591611@commonlink.com>, "Lorlin D. Barber"
<ldb@commonlink.com> writes

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |