Trailer for moving pianos

FirTree@aol.com FirTree@aol.com
Fri, 18 Oct 1996 17:30:18 -0400

<< Anyone have any experience or knowledge with trailers that have some sort
of
 height adjustment so that the top of the trailer can be lowered when empty
or
 carrying a short piano, then raised to accomodate a tall one?  Any
prototypes
 or experiments?  The purpose being to be able to drive with less wind
 resistance whenever possible and to be able to fit the trailer into a garage
 or under a carport when it is at the lower setting.

Finding less wind resistance is a noble exercise, but I have to ask if the
investment in the trailer is really worth the nickel's worth of gas you might
save.

About the time I got into pianos, my father bought a bent boat trailer, real
cheap. He bent it back into shape by driving his car on top of it. He then
built a box to sit on top, making it a utility trailer. The box is 7' X 4'
and has bolt on rings in appropriate places for mover's straps to hold
uprights and grands. The sides are about 2' high, and tarps take care of
height adjustments quite easily. The longer tongue of the boat trailer gives
much more stability, and has a tilt function which means you can load on a
level trailer while parked on a steep hill. Without a tall top, it easily
fits under cover.

I keep debating about getting a pick-up truck with a tall canopy, which I
think makes the most sense, but I don't really want to spend **THAT** much
time moving pianos.

Dave Stocker, RPT
firtree@aol.com
Tumwater, WA