Temperament muting

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 16:23:07 -0400 (EDT)

At 06:32 PM 10/25/96 +0100, you wrote:
>In article <Pine.SOL.3.95.961025081308.8351B-100000@moonpatrol.rs.itd.um
>ich.edu>, Ron Torrella <torrella@umich.edu> writes
>>On Thu, 24 Oct 1996, Jon Page wrote:
>>> I was always having trouble with "bleed thru" when using a
>>> temperament strip (gang mute).  John McDonald (Boston Chapter)
>>> suggested (as he uses) individual rubber mutes. What a difference !
>>I use two strips, side-by-side.  No bleed-thru.  (I only strip off the
>>temperament octave(s).)
>Ron
>what do you use for the rest of the piano when tuning?
>Barrie

I have found that muting the temerament section with rubber mutes
allows pressure to be adjusted as needed effectively reducing
"bleed thru" of the muted wire. Some uprights do not have sufficient
space between plate & strings for felt, but mutes effectively
angle in there.  A Hardman & Peck Minipiano  is the perfect candidate
for mutes.  Tuning the treble just involves 3 rubber mutes.
Frank Kast (No.Va. Chapter) hepled me in the beginning. He instructed
me to use a mute on each side of the note I was tuning; and 1 in between
two of the strings on the octave reference note; thereby tuning one string
to one string. Muting 2 strings of the reference unison is to reduce volume
&/or false beat interference. When seatting temperamant mutes, I always lift
dampers off strings with the pedal so the side pressure does not squeeze
the tips of the trichord felt and tear as the note is played.
Jon Page
Cape Cod. Mass