Temperament muting

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 22:30:45 +0100

In article <1.5.4.16.19961025162023.1eb7ea6c@capecod.net>, Jon Page
<jpage@capecod.net> writes
>I have found that muting the temerament section with rubber mutes
>allows pressure to be adjusted as needed effectively reducing
>"bleed thru" of the muted wire. Some uprights do not have sufficient
>space between plate & strings for felt, but mutes effectively
>angle in there.  A Hardman & Peck Minipiano  is the perfect candidate
>for mutes.  Tuning the treble just involves 3 rubber mutes.
>Frank Kast (No.Va. Chapter) hepled me in the beginning. He instructed
>me to use a mute on each side of the note I was tuning; and 1 in between
>two of the strings on the octave reference note; thereby tuning one string
>to one string. Muting 2 strings of the reference unison is to reduce volume
>&/or false beat interference. When seatting temperamant mutes, I always lift
>dampers off strings with the pedal so the side pressure does not squeeze
>the tips of the trichord felt and tear as the note is played.
>Jon Page
>Cape Cod. Mass
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Jon,

Using a gang wedge or muting strip in the temperament section of the
piano.  Does this not course a problem with worn hammers as it forces
the strings over so when you play the note it hits the crown of the
grove and not the groove.  Having never used one I am unaware of the
potential problems.

Could you also clear up a falesy which seems to be quite general in the
u.k. with ETAs and muting strips.  Most tuners in the U.,K. take
approximately forty minutes to an hour to tune an up right piano which
has been tuned on a regular basis every six Moths.  The fallesy or not
is that we are led to believe that someone using an ETA and a muting
strip takes one hour and thirty minutes to do the same job.  Is this
true or false?  and is it the fault of the ETA or a muting strip?  Do
tuners in the U.S. who use ETAs use a paps wedge?

Regards,

Barrie.

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |