Temp. muting, was: European tuning pref.

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 17:34:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Barrie Heaton wrote:

> Ron
> what do you use for the rest of the piano when tuning?
> Barrie

Rubber wedgies -- big ones all the way up into the second capo section,
when I switch to narrow ones.  I recently changed the way I use strip
mutes.  I used to leave them in until I finished tuning the entire piano
(complete unisons outside of the stripped area), then I'd go back and pull
the strips out note by note to finish.  Don't do that any more.  I yank
them as I set the temperament.  More stable unisons was the result....

			       Ron Torrella
			Assistant Piano Technician
			  University of Michigan
			      School of Music