Temperament muting

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 19:00:15 -0400 (EDT)

<snip>
>Using a gang wedge or muting strip in the temperament section of the
>piano.  Does this not course a problem with worn hammers as it forces
>the strings over so when you play the note it hits the crown of the
>grove and not the groove.  Having never used one I am unaware of the
>potential problems.

I use _individual_ rubber mutes (13 mutes covers F to E) applying only
whatever pressure is needed. Sometimes a damping problem will result,
but not so much to relocate the wire.

>Could you also clear up a falesy which seems to be quite general in the
>u.k. with ETAs and muting strips.  Most tuners in the U.,K. take
>approximately forty minutes to an hour to tune an up right piano which
>has been tuned on a regular basis every six Moths.  The fallesy or not
>is that we are led to believe that someone using an ETA and a muting
>strip takes one hour and thirty minutes to do the same job.  Is this
>true or false?  and is it the fault of the ETA or a muting strip?  Do
>tuners in the U.S. who use ETAs use a paps wedge?

I have never used an ETA, nor ever saw one being used.
We'll have to wait for comments on this one.
Jon Page
Cape Cod. Mass