Bottoms Up Pitch Raising

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Fri, 25 Oct 1996 21:16:02 -0700

jpiesik@arinc.com wrote:

>      In further reply to Joel Rappaport's request for why to pitch raise
>      from the bottom up, string by string, please refer to the following
>      technical article written by Dr. Al Sanderson, in which he states:
>
>      ". . . bottom to the top, and all strings of each note.  This is not
>      only the fastest sequence, but turns out to be the one for which
>      bounce back can be predicted most accurately. . ."
>
>      Dr. Albert E. Sanderson, Inventronics, Topic #1, "Scientific Pitch
>      Raising"

John, thanks for responding.  I was further wondering about the *reason*
for Dr. Sanderson's statement.  For example, is the stretch of the
strings somehow effected (I am not sure how this could be, but I throw
it out there) or is it how the soundboard takes the extra pressure?  Or
is it that it "just is" according to trial tests?  As I mentioned
previously, it seems to me that a small pitch adjustment would be more
stable if we get the middle of the soundboard moved at the beginning of
the procedure, which means starting in the temperament area.
Regards,
----Joel