Bottoms Up Pitch Raising <"Re: Bottoms Up Pitch Raising"@niflheim.rutgers.edu> (Oct 25, 9:16pm)

Newton Hunt nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu
Sun, 27 Oct 1996 10:43:34 -0500

Hi, Joel and Priss,
	For years Al Sanderson contended that during a pitch change the
effected parts is the plate; during pitch raise compression of the plate struts
and the opposite during pitch lowering.
	He had rather dramitic proof of this statement from a graph showing the
differences of pitch before and after removing bass strings.  The most
interesting part of the graph was to show that at the middle/tenor break point
the pitch change stopped cold.
	Bottom to top pitch changes work very well for me in the school
situation where humidity changes from a low of 14 to a high of 96% and I have
to chase the pitch around and around.
	It is wonderful to do a pitch change in 20 minutes and then start again
to find only a few octaves and a few unisons need changing.
	I use the SAT because it is quick, easy, accurate and requires the
least physical and mental effort.  Just follow the bouncing lights.
	I have had to go back to aural tuning for various reasons and found I
had to work twice as hard as with it.
	Hope this finds you all well,
		Newton
		nhunt@rci.rutgers.edu