non-American participants

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Sun, 27 Oct 1996 15:18:36 +0000

Hi Larry,

There is a lot of reconditioning in the U.K. but not too much
rebuilding.  (definitions reconditioning, replacing of felts, key
coverings, leathers, hammers,  re-stringing and minor sound board
repairs. rebuilding replacement of soundboards, fitting of new actions,
and keys.)  The climate over here does ensure that pianos last a lot
longer than they do in the States, this is probably why we recondition
the worn parts rather than rebuild.

As for technicians coming to the list,  like I pointed out in another
thread, I know of at least eight who could access this list but do not,
for one reason or another.  One definitely has your thoroughbred theory
planted firmly between his ears.  Two of the technicians I know of,  do
subscribe to the list periodically but find the traffic a bit heavy
going
However they do not contribute.  One of these gentlemen has been on the
list for at least two  years as I am aware.  I personally have now been
on the list about eighteen Months, and yes I find it very rewarding,
especially now the PTG has their own list and it is less dominated by
Political backbiting.  But was interesting at times to see that piano
tuners are just as bitchy in other piano organisations.

The U.K. piano trade is just beginning to warm up to the internet, the
Association of blind piano tuners,  technically could have seventy per
cent of its members on this list as they all have the necessary
equipment but not the motivation.  As the saying goes, you can lead a
horse to water, but you cant make him drink.

Possibly,  you might like to write an article similar to the one you
have just wrote to encourage technicians to the list.  Especially from
the PTA where you will find more technicians actively restoring pianos,
than in the ABPT. and I will forward it to the three U.K. trade
magazines.  Send it privately if you do as I'm sure the list is not that
interested.

 I personally receive about forty per cent of my
income from reconditioning it used to be about eighty per cent as I used
to do a lot of work for the piano trade,  by mail order, but I found
that a lot of tuners were sending me an action which required seven or
eight hundred ponds of work, but only wanted me to do about two
hundred pounds worth and I got the felling they were ripping there
customers off.  I still do trade work but I am more selective in who I
have, as I am lucky to have a large private customer base.

There are technicians in the UK. who do not do any tunings at all just
totally survive off reconditioning the tow excellent brothers about
fifteen miles from me who are both fine technicians.  However sadly they
no longer talk to each other.

Take care,

Kind regards,

Barrie.

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |