Replaced Keytops - How Long Should They Stick?

Cedar Mill Piano Tuning tunerlg@ibm.net
Sun, 27 Oct 1996 11:49:12 -0800

Dear pianotechies,

I just delivered and installed my first keytop replacement Friday.  As
coincidence would have it, my customer had a friend over who complained that
she had a set replaced on her piano by a local dealer (best reputation) nine
years ago, and the tops are now coming off.  I jested that mine would last at
least a year.

I honestly couldn't tell this person how long her replaced keytops "should" have
lasted, nor can I tell my own customer how long she can expect the ones I did
to stay put.  We all agreed that she should report the problem to the dealer, both
for their information, and also to give them the opportunity to fix the problem,
if that's appropriate (and it might NOT be!).  I also intructed (as always) my
customer to report any problems she might have to me so that I can take care
of them.

My keytops are Vagias molded tops, and assuming that I used exactly the right
amount of Weldwood contact cement and allowed it to dry for the optimum time
before applying and that the customer has a "normal" environment for her piano,
is there any reason to think they might someday just come unglued??

The other lady didn't have any idea what material her nine-year-old keytops
were made of.  As far as I know she didn't have her piano (a baby grand)
situated next to her laundry room or in the kitchen.  Or in the shower.

Larry Goss
Cedar Mill Piano Tuning
Cedar Mill, Oregon