European Trade Regulation (was Europiano)

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Tue, 29 Oct 1996 15:01:59 -0800

Bill Bailer wrote:

> Joel,
>
> What, exactly, is the German Trade System?  Is it a government
> authority?  Is it "exclusive", in other words, you cannot, by law,
> operate a piano rebuilding shop without government permission?  What
> about repair, or just tuning? And if regulated by law, what measures are
> taken to enforce the law?  Who grants the Diploma, and under what
> authority?  Since here in the states, there is absolutely no government
> regulation (except for taxation), I and probably others are still a bit
> confused by your otherwise careful posting.
> Still Curious!
>
> Bill Bailer

Bill & others:

The whole situation is more complicated now, as I mentioned, than it was
in the 1970's when I was there.  Yes, the government protects citizen
consumers by regulating who may do what.  I was told that anyone can be
a "tuner," but they may not pick up a screwdriver and use it on a piano
action because that is not allowed without the proper training.  Yes, it
was exclusive at that time.  A few years ago, one of our good friends in
the Bund Deutscher Klavierbauer did begin legal proceedings against a
tuner who was out doing repairs.  He left town quickly.  The Diploma is
granted by self-regulating trade organizations called Handwerkskammer
(Chanbers - as in Chambers of Commerce - who monitor the hand work
trade.)  If any of our German colleagues are listening in and want to
jump in with the latest information, please feel free to do so.

Hey guys and gals....I've got to go tune some pianos.  Hope this clears
up your questions, Bill.

Regards----Joel