Beatings

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 17:04:42 -0500

C'mon Les, her "RPT" technician told her the piano was SHARP!  You hit
her kinda hard, I think, with your somewhat over righteous and assuming
response.  Read her letter again, you may see it in a different light.
And remember, she is a piano owner looking for education, not a
beating.  Do you treat all your customers this way?  Maybe you're just
having a bad day - hope things improve for you.  John Piesik

Sandra. My guess is that the problem lies not with the tuner, but with
you. You say that the piano was restrung 2 years ago. How many times in
that 2 year period have you had the piano the piano tuned? Once? twice?
A restrung instrument has to be tuned more frequently in the first couple
of years in order to get the excess stretch out of the strings. Until this
happens the piano will NEVER be stable. In the last two years your piano
should have been tuned an absolute minimum of four times and given the
move, six times probably would have been better. It constantly amazes me
how many times people think that a new, or restrung piano should be tuned
LESS frequently than an older instrument. It's not at all uncommon to walk
in on a new, or restrung piano that's gone several YEARS without being
tuned and is down a minor third or so in pitch. Then, because the piano
has new strings, they expect a tuner to come in at get it to stabalize
at A-440 with only a single standard tuning. DREAM OM!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net