Steinway Player

Jim Kinnear jkinnear@blue.georgian.net
Wed, 30 Oct 1996 17:21:14 -0500 (EST)

To all on the List.....
I have a customer who wants to rid themselves of an inherited upright.  She
called me for advice, and hearing that it was 80 yrs old, and a player that
didnt work, I wasn't very optimistic, but agreed to have a look before advising.
 I found an upright Steinway # 139392, soundboard, frame, bridges, action in
very good condition, and a Pianola 66/88 note ( yes, two sets of holes on the
tracker bar ) player mechanism which her husband had tried to repair with
fishtank tubing.  The cabinet is quite restorable, with only some scrapes along
the front where Philistine Moving Company had tried to squeeze it through a
door.

I'd like some feedback about the intrinsic value of this instrument.  I'm aware
I can get the player restored for about $2500CAN, and the cabinet restored for
about $1000.

Incidentally, I've never seen a dual unit before... Rare???

I asked the steinway restoration folks this same question, but haven't had the
pleasure of a reply as yet.

regards to all
Jim

		         Jim Kinnear, I.P.T.