developed pitch..

FRED W TREMPER f.trempe@morehead-st.edu
Tue, 01 Apr 1997 05:26:47 -0500 (EST)

Dear List:

What follows is a twist on the intent of the original posts, but I think
it is interesting.

I have noticed a curious phenonemon when tuning in a home in which an
infant is within hearing distance.  When I get into the range of, say,
C5, and the infant cries or makes infant sounds, the pitch of its cry is
approximately that of the note I am tuning.  Also, as I progress upward
the infant seems to follow the pitch, not that it is a true match, but it
does appear there is an adjustment.

This tells me that an infant is absorbing its environment: touch, sight,
etc.  What goes on in its head is beyond my comprehension.

On another but related matter, some good soul, intent on helping out,
donates his piano to the church.  A technician is called in to tune the
piano and is asked how much it will cost.  The response is that the
tuning is $xx.xx, but that the repairs necessary will be about $2,000.

After they blanch, they are faced with a dilemma: 1. The can't give the
it back; 2. They can't sell it; 3. They can't afford to repair it.  So, what
to do?  They give it to the Sunday School class.

The kids grow up thinking that is what a piano sounds like.

When I am asked what to do, I suggest that the best piano be put in the
Sunday School classroom and that the worst be put in the Sanctuary.  It
won't be long before the congregation insists on an new instrument.

Fred