Service Vehicle

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Tue, 01 Apr 1997 22:28:37 -0600

Gittinger, Delbert M. wrote:
> What do you use as a service vehicle?  What do you like and/or dislike
> about it?

Well, I've been waiting for all possibilities and in the interest of
completeness, I must add my favorite service vehicle.  Our Cessna 182 is
a single engine, 4 place plane.  I would think that our usual speed of
160mph or so would satisfy those who are "alsway in a hurry!"  With a
nice tailwind, we can go well over 200mph over the ground.  Of course,
that wind works against us on the way back.  I'm not sure of the
mileage, but the airframe has over 4500 hours on it.

When we take the back seat out, there is enough room to lay down a
concert grand action.  The weight and balance limits of the Cessna 182
are, so to speak, if you can stuff it in the door, the plane can take
it.   One advantage is scheduling.  We can do a manufacturer consulting
trip in Texas, Oklahoma or Louisiana and be home that night.  Or we can
teach a class at the national convention in Kansas City and still be
able to cover Alicia deLarrocha soloing with the Dallas Symphony and be
back in KC the next day to teach again.

Pris has loaded up tools, parts, supplies, glue pot, even a drill press
and flown half way across the country to do an action overhaul on a
performance piano.  Taking tools through the security checks is not a
problem and we never have to worry about being late for the flight.  Our
plane is not going to leave without us!

Talk about fun!  And you learn a lot about the weather, too.
Just had to share this ;-)

Joel Rappaport
Fly-By-Night Piano Service