a Baldwin damper noise

Joel Rappaport joelr@flash.net
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 00:09:36 -0600

Susan Kline wrote:

> Dear list --
>
> Stumped. Wisdom needed: what do I look for next?
>
> A good customer's newly rebuilt 1959 Baldwin L has developed a nasty
> wooden-sounding tic on the first note in the tenor section, located
> somewhere in the damper assembly. (It goes away when the right pedal is
> depressed.)

Susan,
You didn't say if you removed the damper and wire from the underlever.
I would start isolating moving parts by doing that first and see if the
underlever alone made the noise.  It may be a paper clip or other office
supply item that fell down on top of the underlever itself, behind the
wires.  This fits with the noise going away with the dampers raised.  If
the noise is there with just the underlever moving, that eliminates
wire, damper head, bushing and so forth.

> In spite of being apparently damper related, it seemed to get worse when the
> soft pedal was used. Without the right keyblock to limit travel, it seemed
> to get much worse.

When the noise changes with soft pedal use, I usually start looking at
backcheck/sostenuto rod/sostenuto bracket involvement.  Are *all* the
key end felts on and securely glued?  But this doesn't fit with the
following:

> When the action is removed, I can make it happen (louder) by slapping up the
> underlever from beneath, by hand. I can make a similar noise on the top note
> of the bass section, the same way, though that note is quiet when the action
> plays the note. None of the neighboring dampers will make the sound.

Maybe look closer at the sostenuto brackets and the sostenuto lip to
sostenuto rod clearances.
Otherwise, it seems like you have looked at all the obvious so far.
Can't wait to see what SuperList comes up with!

Joel Rappaport
Round Rock, Texas