SAT Custom Stretch?

Cyace@aol.com Cyace@aol.com
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 11:53:00 -0500 (EST)

At the risk of exposing ignorance,  I will ask: Is it possible to alter the
amount of stretch built in to the SAT FAC tuning by altering the FAC numbers
or some other method?  I learned aurally (is there any other way?) and
continually disagree with my SAT in the top end, finding it a bit too sharp
up there.  It would be nice on the rough store work to be able to tune with
the SAT and not have to pay attention or alter the top end.

The SAT is a wonderful tool and I use it constantly, to get me close. Of
course, often it is right on or it wouldn't be very useful beyond pitch
raising.  For me, all final decisions are made by ear alone.

On another note, several tuners I know are losing their hearing.  I feel very
fortunate to have good ears and wonder if my use of earplugs for twelve years
may have helped.  It was not easy to get used to but it is a rare piano that
I have to pull the foamies I cut lengthwise in half out of my ears to hear
the top end of a piano.

Steve Davis
RPT