Lawsuits: Broken Plate

Barrie Heaton Piano@forte.airtime.co.uk
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 17:41:29 +0100

Dear Morcel,

A colleague of mine has just goone through the same experience he was
working on a 25 year old knight piano and the frame went.  At the first
the customer apparently did not seem to be concerned but several days
later my colleague received a letter threatening legal action unless he
replaced like with like.

Unfortumately my colleague is only an associate members of the ABPT and
therefore is not covered by our all risks musical instrument insureance
scheme.  To his credit though, he had the forsight to take out his own
public liability insureance,  he contacted his insureance company to see
if he was covered and the insureance company sent round a loss adjuster
and sistress analysis engineer, who advised that this plate failure was
due to metal fatiigue and not to my colleague's incompetence.

This took placde in Febvruary of this year and as I am aware the matter
has been resolved in my colleagues favour.

Hope this is of some help if you wish I can contact my colleague and he
may correspond with your friend.  I know this is English law however,
overseas presidence can carry weight in U.S. Courts.

Regards,

Barrie.

In article <199704012136.QAA09186@multi-medias.ca>, Marcel Carey
<mcpiano@multi-medias.ca> writes

--

Barrie Heaton                                  |  Be Environmentally Friendly
The UK PIano Page                              |