Baldwin damper problems

Bob Mishkin bmishkin@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 20:52:28 -0800

I have found several recent Baldwin grands, with noisy dampers, and
dampers failing to damp properly, to be caused by loose screws in the
damper guide rail.  In a couple of cases, the rail was also misaligned.
The looseness caused the rail to move  and tap against the board when the
damper is returning.  In one case, the screw actually pulled up some wood
in the board, keeping the rail from mating altogether.  Once repaired,
aligned and tightened, the problem disappeared completely.
 I now check the damper guide rail screws as part of my routene
maintainance.
Robert MishkinRPT
bmishkin@ix.netcom.com