purple strings

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Wed, 02 Apr 1997 22:17:00 -0700 (MST)

Hi Ed:

I'm not sure just what chemical environment causes strings to turn purple
but I do know that the environment can affect an entire set of Bass
strings. Back in '73 I was sent by the Baldwin Piano Co. to a town in
SE New Mexico where they mine Potash.  Something from the process was
always in the air. This particular Acrosonic had strings which were a
little darker than usual, but they were all stiff as a board. There was
no musical tone to any of them. Even tho' it was not a manufacuring
defect, the Co. sprung for a new set of Bass strings just for goodwill.

Jim Coleman, Sr.