Steinway bass strings

Michael Wathen Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Thu, 03 Apr 1997 07:57:12 -0500 (EST)

I also went through a lot of frustration with bass strings.  I designed my
own scales.  Sent them to Mapes.  The main man there would make a scale
stick then give it to the winder.  What I received each time was far from
what I had ordered.  At one point, Wayne told me point blank, "look , I'll
make them any way you want to.  We shorten the winding because we want to
make sure that it don't end up in the agraffe.  I't don't make that much
difference anyhow."

Well, I wasn't going to argue with him.  I also realized that after he made
the stick he gave it to the winder.  Now, I've been to Mapes.  It's piece
work pay.  There are probably fifty guys each with a lathe making strings
all day long at a scary pace.  They never sit down, never talk to their
neighbor except at breaks.  It was far worse occupationally, then anything I
had seen in the many factories I have been through.  If you can imagine,
that winder probably resents special orders.  He makes split second
dicisions when reading the stick and you can bet they are all going to be
ones that make his job easier.

On the other hand we are extremely pleased with David Sanderson's work.  He
understands the special order.  It is part of his business, satisfying the
special order.  Check him out.

Michael J. Wathen			Phone:	513-556-9565
Piano Technician			Fax:	513-556-3399
College-Consevatory of Music		Email:  Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu