Lawsuits: Broken Plate

Frank Weston waco@ari.net
Thu, 03 Apr 1997 08:08:28 -0500

I'm not a lawyer.  My opinions and advice on the subject are in the same
category of amateurism as when a lawyer tries to tune his own piano.
However, I won't let that small fact stop me from voicing an opinion.
Let me temper what follows by explaining that my father is a judge, and
almost every other adult member of my family is a lawyer.  I get to hear
a lot of lawyer talk for free.

Advice: Resolve the issue before a lawer is required.  If that's not
possible have a lawyer in court.  Do not assume that the system is
biased toward consumers.  If anything judges are biased against people
who waste their time.  People without lawyers waste the judge's time.
Don't waste the judge's time.  Be prepared to state the case clearly and
briefly.  The central issue is just when and how the plate broke.  Can
the customer prove that it was not already broken?

Good luck - Frank Weston