Japanese Yamahas

UNATUNER@aol.com UNATUNER@aol.com
Thu, 03 Apr 1997 19:22:18 -0500 (EST)

<< Do any of you have first hand knowledge of what to expect from these
 pianos in the future and will share that knowledge with me so I can be more
 direct in my vague answers I give to my clients asking about these pianos
 Thanks ,
 James Grebe from St. Louis
 pianoman2inlink.com

I have serviced several Yamaha's from Japan (starting 1988) and I have never
experienced any difficulties of any sort.  The grands are easily identified
by having only 2 pedals and the serial number is a brass inlay in the lid -
(something that probably would'nt go over to well in the US).  There was
(is?)  a lot of  Jap-Kawai piano's sold in the Chicago area , at a
surprisingly low price,  and I have yet to experience any problems with them.
 The japanese piano dealer who I worked for of course, was not at all pleased
with their existence and was sure point out to anyone all of the possible
evils that could occur if a customer was in fact so unlucky as to acquire one
of these "bootleged"  pianos.

Howard, years ago, had Kawai make grands for them and there was a similar
defensive campaign against them.  The only difference that I could tell was
that Howard grands had blue tuning pins instead of chrome.

Jerry Wood
Lombard, Il.