Japanese Yamahas

Garret E. Traylor traylorg@kic.or.jp
Fri, 04 Apr 1997 10:19:57 +0900

James;

For 2 1/2 years, I worked Salesman/Technician for a very large Yamaha
Dealer in Washington DC who sold these pianos.  The only reason  he sold
them is because the guy down the street sold them.  If we did not stock
them we would loose business to our competitor.

I have been told that the reason these pianos are bought from Japanese
is because the Japanese feel that a piano has led some useful life when
it reaches a certain age, so they export them.  (I think that the one's
we bought were from Colleges and Universities and Schools.)  They export
them to the US because we will buy them.  Sooner or later the Chinese or
whoever will buy them too ... they have to be sold somewhere.  I also
believe that it is good business to get rid of used pianos in certain
markets in order to stimulate the market for new instruments. Some piano
companies in the past  have been known to buy used pianos and then
destroy them to keep them off the market and thus inflate new piano
sales.

When a dealer buys these (two pedal grands) pianos, they can buy the
pianos in different grades.  Basically they are four or five grades.
For example A,B,C,D.  "A" being the best and "D" the worst.  "A"'s are
more expensive and "D"'s are very cheep.

"A grade" is the best with hardly anything wrong with them they are the
most expensive.  The case is in nice shape probably needs a good
cleaning, regulation, hammer filing, tuning is usually close to 440,
tuning pins are very good ... etc.  Not much different than the pianos
you might find in a good customers home.  They are about 8 to 10 years
old.

“B grade” needs some work.  The case has damage scuffs and scratches,
they are very dirty, a good touch up man can take care of this usually
by a good buffing and through cleaning, definitely need regulation,
hammer filing, several tunings, may need some new strings, tuning pins
are usually OK.  Not much different than the pianos you might find in a
average customers home.

“C grade has some serious problems but they don’t need to be rebuilt.
The case is worse than “B grade” polyester repair is usually needed
along with polishing the case.  All other areas of the piano need work.
Some parts may be broken but the piano “may” work OK if much time and
effort is put into it.  No guarantees though.

“D” pianos are not very good at all .. missing parts … cracks in the
board .… usual severe case damage .… sometimes water damage, need
re-stringing etc… If you have a good rebuilding area you may make these
work.

I have found the A and B instruments to be good choices for some
customers.  I usually recommend a complete climate control system to be
installed on all pianos.  (At least in the climates I have worked in).
I believe that a dealer is obgliated and responsible to make sure that
all the work necessary is done to place the instrument in VERY GOOD
SHAPE.  Generally speaking a dealer needs a skillful full time staff
technician to take care of the instruments.  Salary technician is much
cheaper than paying an outside tech if they have enough volume of work
to keep the technician busy.

In a nut shell, Some of these pianos are Very Good and some are are Very
Bad.  It is up to the dealer or technician to consider the needs of the
customer and give appropriate advice when asked.

Hope this helps
Garret Traylor

—
| Garret Traylor | Equal Temperament Piano Services | Okinawa Japan |
| Associate Member at Large | Washington DC Chapter Piano Technicians
Guild |
| E-mail: traylorg@kic.or.jp | Web-page: http://www.kic.or.jp/~traylorg/

| Snail Mail: PSC 482 Box 14 FPO, AP 96362-0014 |