old upright Knabe..

Dave Sanderson pianobiz@juno.com
Fri, 04 Apr 1997 07:46:52 -0500 (EST)

Phil
Steel has been used throughout history only when copper was not available
(times of war) or just too expensive(trying to save a buck).  Its'
properties of sound production have no merit above copper, in fact its'
hardness and its' rusting make it an inferior choice to copper.

>From all I can tell it is a myth that manufacturers preferred steel or
used it to create a particular sound. High cost and/or shortages appear
to have been the driving factors. This is proven by the fact that as soon
as copper did become available again ALL manufacturers switched back to
copper immediately.

David Sanderson
Littleton, MA
Pianobiz@juno.com