Dampp-Chasers in Concert Pianos

Rob & Karen Loomis rkloomis@equinox.shaysnet.com
Sat, 05 Apr 1997 13:52:45 -0500

Dear List,
	For many years I have preached humidity control and intalled hundreds
of Dampp-Chasers. Most of these customers are capable of doing the
minimal amount of maintenance and the units rarely fail and they are the
most satisfied of customers with pianos that stay in tune longer and
fall apart slower. However, I've never convinced a school to install one
in a concert instrument.
	This past year, the Fine Arts Center at the University of Mass. had
their leaky roof fixed. This past winter the R.H. dropped 15% lower than
I'd measured before [to ~20%]. Bridge pins and tuning pins started to
move and groove [form cracks], tuning stabilty and tone took a dive. At
least one of these must be restrung etc. before it can be trusted on
stage. When this work is done, I'd like to recommend the best possible
scheme to keep the work from falling apart so fast. There just isn't the
funding to buy new pianos at the rate they're being eaten.
	I've been wondering if a seven part Dampp-Chaser system with extra rods
and lips around the inside rims of the humidifiers [to reduce slossage
when ramming into walls etc.] combined with floor length covers would be
the way to go.
	If anyone would care to share their views and hopefully experience with
such schemes here, directly to me via email or with my director, I'd be
very grateful.
	Thanks

Rob Loomis
rkloomis@shaysnet.com