I Raise the pitch...on the pitch raise.

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Sun, 06 Apr 1997 23:53:37 +0000

> Date:          Mon, 07 Apr 1997 00:55:32 -0400 (EDT)
> From:          TunerJeff@aol.com
> Subject:       Re: I Raise the pitch...on the pitch raise.
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu

List,

I know I am probably in the minority here but I rarely if ever
overpull the pitch during a pitch raise.  If the piano is way
off, say -100 cents, I will raise to A440 on the first pass.
(If I suspect trouble, i.e. already broken strings etc., I may
bring up only 50%)  Then the second pass is raised from maybe
-15 cents.  The third pass is mainly in the mid-section of the
piano with hardly a hello to the first octave or last.  The bass
is the least affected from a pitch change and the high treble
isn't played much.  Certainly if a piano is off from pitch by
much, we are not dealing with a perfectionist.  If the pitch is
say -20 cents, I again raise to A440 on the first pass and fine
tune as best I can on the second pass from about -2 cents or so.
I use the Accutuner tuning unisons as I go from the bass to the
treble.  My feeling is the idea of overshooting +25% of pitch
change leaves me with a piano that I have to lower on the second
pass and I have a phobia towards broken strings.  I would rather
raise a bit than lower a bit.

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA

>      I also insist on tuning a piano to A-440. I explain that the piano
> builders designed the stringing scale (what size & length wire) with a
> particular pitch in mind. The stringing scale can't give it's best unless the
> TENSION is also correct. Yes? And since I'm giving my pitch raise lesson at
> the same time... they NEVER ask me to tune it flat (...I suspect they'd be
> afraid to suggest it!).
>
>     Rare is the piano that must be left flat! Most of the time I encounter a
> piano that a previous tuner said; "Can't be pulled to concert pitch.", it
> seemed to me that the 'tuner' was in too much of a hurry to do his/her job
> right. I also make clear on the first contact that a piano that's been
> neglected WILL require extra time to tune. It's rarely an issue that the
> owner brings up. Generally, they expect to pay a bit more for the first
> tuning after a few years (or decades) of non-service.
>
> Exception #1- You find 20 replaced strings in the treble, and the bass is an
> ecelctic mix of universal bass, original wire, and odd-looking splices. Duck
> and cover!
>
> Exception #2- Piano hasn't been serviced in 70 years (or more). In this case,
> I will only pull the 'pitch raise' TO A-440 and not overpull on the first
> visit, as I normally would for a pitch raise, to land the piano at A-440. I
> will be back in 30 days, and then aim to put the instrument at proper pitch.
> (Normally on a pitch raise, you must overshoot the pitch you are aiming
> for...I'm saying that I use A-440 as the first setting for my A4 and DO NOT
> attempt to yank it above that point... the piano will settle far below this
> pitch, but nothing has ever broken from this gentler approach. Well...
> rarely.)
>
> Exception #3- Heck, there are always reasons... but they are few and far
> between. One thing I've learned about piano servicing is this; It's a
> flexible world!
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
> Oregon Coast Piano Services
> TunerJeff @ aol.com
>
> ps- As Randy is training many a tech, it's good to see that he favors pianos
> being tuned properly. Where they were built & designed to be. Excellent!
> :>)
> jef

ilvey, RPT
Pacifica, CA