old upright Knabe.. -Reply

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Mon, 07 Apr 1997 15:11:56 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, Vince.

Interesting post. Off the top of my head, one piano that incorporated
this very system was J&C Fisher, whom we discussed a couple of months
ago. Around the turn of the century they did indeed use copper for the
lowest, double-wound single strings and iron for all the rest of the
single-wound strings. To modern eyes, the combination of the two dif-
ferent types of windings appears somewhat strange. Perhaps appearance--
especially in a grand piano--was one argument in favor of using copper
through-out?