old upright Knabe.. -Reply

Vince Mrykalo mrykalov@BYUGATE.byu.edu
Mon, 07 Apr 1997 11:36:57 -0700

"Proceedings of the Conference of Piano
Technicians": (Remarks were made by
string-maker E. Johnson from Schaaf Piano String
Co. from Chicago in 1916):
"If a dull tone is desired we find the copper wires
act to better advantage than the iron."
also:
"We do not advocate an entire set of iron strings -
the last ten strings should be copper.  This is due to
the fact that the diameter of the core is so much
less than the diameter of the covering wire.  On fine
strings we have found where the same weight of
hammers is used and on the same scale, the iron
strings give better results.  I do not know just what
the reason is."
and:
"The value of copper bass strings is only
salesman's talk.  He is the one who went outside
and popularized it.  Later, when you offered your
piano with iron strings, he told you everybody was
using copper strings.  A lower copper string is
superior to iron.  I recommend copper on the lower
10 strings, but on the finer strings better results may
be had with the iron."

Vince Mrykalo
BYU

>>> Dave Sanderson <pianobiz@juno.com>
04/04/97 05:46am >>>
Phil
Steel has been used throughout history only when
copper was not available
(times of war) or just too expensive(trying to save a
buck).  Its'
properties of sound production have no merit
above copper, in fact its'
hardness and its' rusting make it an inferior choice
to copper.
>From all I can tell it is a myth that manufacturers
preferred steel or
used it to create a particular sound. High cost
and/or shortages appear
to have been the driving factors. This is proven by
the fact that as soon
as copper did become available again ALL
manufacturers switched back to
copper immediately.

David Sanderson
Littleton, MA
Pianobiz@juno.com
On Fri, 04 Apr 1997 05:29:25 -0500 (EST) Phil
Bondi <tito@peganet.com>
writes:
>...came into a dealers store a while ago..it's a
project for me when
>it's
>slow..question..it has steel-wound strings..never
seen this