a Baldwin damper noise

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Mon, 07 Apr 1997 14:04:40 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 03 Apr 1997, Bill Maxim asked in RE:

>> The damper bushing I was referring to is the brass bushing holding the
>> set screw not the flange bushing.

> Is this not properly called a "ferrule?"

> Bill Maxim, RPT

> And on Sat, 05 Apr 1997, Susan Kline queried:
>
> I would be interested in knowing what it really should be called. I
> called it a "brass damper bushing" because the APSCO catalog called it
> that. I've heard several different names for it. I thought a "ferule"
> was a metal fitting encasing a wooden part, not inside it?  Susan Kline

Oddly enough, the part Bill was asking about is, in fact, a brass damper
bushing--at least according to APSCO. A Steinway cross section defines
this part as being a "flange screw and socket." I believe I've heard this
brass part referred to as a screw barrel -- which is what I've tended to
stick with since it looks very much like a barrel. Especially the kind
that has a ribbed exterior (so it won't spin in the flange hole when the
screw meets resistance).

A ferrule, BTW, is the brass covering piece one typically finds at the
bottom of a leg.

			     Ron Torrella, RPT
			Assistant Piano Technician
			  University of Michigan