Epoxying bridges. was Sanding Bridges

SGrossner@aol.com SGrossner@aol.com
Mon, 07 Apr 1997 17:33:59 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 97-04-06 12:34:37 EDT, Tim Coates writes:

<<  If you don't like using epoxy on bridges I suppose you could do without.
  But it does help fill hairline cracks.  >>

   I know this is a little off the mark, but I have a question for the list
about epoxying bridges. A rebuilder of note (notes?) in my area at times has
built a duct tape wall around the entire bridge and then poured epoxy over
the whole affair. After overnight drying, he pulls it off as one sheet and
presto, all cracks filled, everything. He says it removes the varnish as well
as the graphite bridge coating. Sounded good to me, easier than pulling each
pin individually and more thorough. However, when I tried it-hah!... All I
got was a recalcitrant glob that refused to come off. In effect, ruined the
piano. Fortunately I tried it first on a no -name upright to check. Anyone
tried this? I wonder what results were had, and if they were good, how was it
accomplished. I know this does not speak to resurfacing the top of the
bridge.  Regards, Sam Grossner chicago.