"Ticks" on a Harpsichord

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 08 Apr 1997 11:38:40 -0500

List,

   Borrowing the quotes below from a post by Les Smith (with apologies)
I'd like to ask about doing this lubrication on a harpsichord. Our best
one has developed the "ticks" Les mentions and I was wondering about the
advisability of using this. The harpsichord ticks are on the front bridge
where the strings pass over going to the tuning pins.
   The problem is the same as in a piano, i.e. you turn the pin a bit
before the string breaks loose and then it changes too much.
   Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Avery

>As you first lower the tension on the
>string. you can often hear a slight "tick" as it breaks free from the
>bearing point.
>...even though the first thing I
>do is to apply a small amount of a high-quality lubricant like Protek, to
>those same bearing points.

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston